Do you think that “How to Find What Type of Laptop I Have “So don’t worry, today I will give you several ways to know which laptop type you have right now?
There are several reasons that you may need to check the model and specifications of your laptop. You can compare your old notebook with the new laptop you want to upgrade. You can also compare the computer specifications with the video game requirements to see if you can run it. Regardless of the reason, it is relatively easy to find model numbers and specifications on a laptop.
This guide will perform some quick steps step by step to find the model and specifications.
How to Find What Type of Laptop I Have: Find the model of your laptop.
Your laptop model can help you understand the specifications of your computer and find troubleshooting information.
Luckily, in most cases, the model number is easy to find.
- Flip the laptop. Somewhere at the bottom of your computer, you will see a logo and some text. Most of the time, this is where your laptop model locate. Sometimes, the model and brand list together (for example, “Acer Aspire 5517”), while other brands may list the brand and model separately.
However, not all laptops have this information on the bottom. Sometimes, it is necessary to remove the bottom panel to check the laptop model. However, in these cases, it is usually easier to find the model in the control panel.
- First, you have to Enter “Control Panel” in the search bar on your laptop at the bottom of the screen. Click the control panel application displayed in the search results.
- Click “System and Security.” It should be the first choice.
- Click the “System” link.
- It will display information about your computer. Many computers will list the make and model here.
Also, read My Laptop Charger Broke How Can I Charge It
How to Find What Type of Laptop I Have
Check your laptop specifications.
If you only need to know which CPU, GPU, or RAM your computer has, there are other ways to get these specifications.
Find your CPU
In Windows 10, finding the CPU you own is very easy.
- First, you have to Right-click on the Windows button of your Pc in the lower-left corner side.
- Click System. It should be in the center.
- It would help if you stayed on the “About” page in the system. About halfway through, you will find a section called “Device Specifications.” The CPU of your laptop will have listed next to “Processor” in this section.
- You can also find out how much memory is on the “Device Specifications” page.
You hardly need to check the motherboard in your laptop. However, for whatever reason, you can perform a few simple steps if required.
- First, Type on your system “system information” in the computer’s search bar at the bottom of the desktop.
- The application named “System Information” should appear in the search results. Click it.
- It will open an extensive list of information. However, at the bottom, you will see a message called “BaseBoard Manufacturer.” I am the brand of your motherboard. Below, you will see “BaseBoard Model” or “BaseBoard Product,” which is the motherboard model.
- You can also use the “System Information” panel to find your CPU and GPU and the amount of installed memory.
Check the GPU
When gaming, the GPU is essential. Whether you want to see if your laptop meets the gaming requirements or compare it to other models, you need to know which GPU you have. Here’s how to find it:
- First, click on the “Window” button in the lower-left corner of the desktop. A menu will appear with several options. Click on “Device Manager.”
- You will now be in the drop-down menu list. The application contains each device’s name on the computer and the terms of devices connected via USB and Bluetooth.
- At the top, you will see a menu called “Display Adapter.” click it.
- Your GPU will have listed on this menu. Note that there may be two options: one for discrete GPU and one for CPU integrated graphics. If there are two options, the important one to note is the discrete GPU.
Check how much memory you have.
Many of the methods listed above can also enable you to find out how much RAM is in your laptop. However, you can also follow the instructions below to check the system’s RAM:
- Right-click the Windows “Start” button at the bottom of the computer screen.
- Select the “System” option in the menu that appears.
- You will now be on the “About” page. Scroll down a bit, and you will see a section titled “Device Specifications.” You have less than that amount of RAM. Usually, it has marked as “installed RAM.”
Also, read How to Use a Tracking Number?
Run product check:
If you can’t find the model number on the laptop itself (or have been scratched due to years of use), the manufacturer may provide a downloadable tool that will check your hardware and spit out the model number for you. Go to the manufacturer’s website, for example. Dell, Lenovo, or HP, then click the “Support” tab. Somewhere on this page, you should find an option to detect the hardware. Download the program, run it, and you will start the game.
If you’re using a Mac, you don’t need to download anything – click the Apple icon in the upper left corner of the screen and select “About This Mac” to see the name and year (for example, “MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015 “. In rare cases, you may need the model identifier in the system information application (e.g., MacBookPro11,4) or the part number at the bottom of the device (e.g., MJLQ2LL / TO).
While checking the specifications:
When looking for laptop information, it may be helpful to understand the laptop setup. For example, you and I may both have an HP EliteBook 840 G6, but one of us may have an i5 processor and 4GB of RAM, and the other may have an i7 processor with 8GB of RAM. It is not always necessary to know this to perform repairs, but it can be useful for some tasks. For example, if you want to upgrade RAM, you need to know how much you currently have to know how much to buy.
You can check your computer’s basic specifications by opening the “Start” menu and searching for “About PC.” Under “Device Specifications” on this page, you will see the installed processor and RAM, and you can see the hard drive capacity in the Windows Explorer of this PC. Mac users can view this information in the “About This Mac” window above.
Identifying and Using Windows System Information
The final choice is to use the complete service to display all the system information in Windows.
Use the following steps.
- Use the search box and enter “system information.”
- Select the “System Information” option.
- A window will appear. Find the model in the System Model field.
- Open search
- enter msinfo32
- Click the title of the msinfo32 search result.
- Find your model number in the Model field.
- Use the start button to go to search.
- Enter “System Information.”
- Select “System Information” from the results.
- Find the “System Model.”
FAQs How to Find What Type of Laptop I Have
Why do you need to know which laptop you own?
For many reasons, you need to know the model and brand of your laptop
- To get the support of the brand manufacturer, you need to tell them the model
- You need the information to find the driver online.
- It also helps in reselling; customers may ask for models.
What if you still can’t find the model number?
If you have tried everything but still can’t find the model, you’d better contact the brand’s customer service department.
You can also try your local laptop retailer/lab to help you solve the problem. Experienced laptop technicians can use BIOS to help you determine the brand and model of your laptop.
You can also use the BIOS alone, but if you are not familiar with these settings, we recommend that you not tamper with the BIOS.
Can I upgrade my laptop?
After checking the specifications of your laptop, you may be interested in updating its components. However, unlike desktop computers, The main parts inside a computer cannot easily be upgraded.
In most cases, upgrading the RAM and storage space in a laptop is very simple. And, with the rise of external GPUs, it is possible to improve its graphics processing capabilities.
However, if you have an old laptop that can’t run your favorite games, you will not only need more memory, but you will also need to upgrade to an SSD. If so, it is best to switch to a new laptop. (Check out our guide for the best gaming laptops for a counter strike)